Sunday, January 27, 2013

El uso de los Blogs...


Creating a blog is a new way that I can engage students, hold them accountable for their learning as well as grow as a second language teacher.  My students have grown up in the technology era and are constantly incorporating different technologies into their daily lives.  I need to incorporate this new type of literacy into my classroom in order to fully engage my students in the learning process.  Using a blog is a great way to meet various students' learning styles and needs.  Here are a few ways that I can utilize  my blog to meet the learning standards.  
  1. Post successful activities with reflections for other second language educators.
  2. Post photos, videos, songs or articles in that students must analyze and reflect on in Spanish. 
Collaboration is the key to success in education.  Through blogger, I can start following other second language educators around the world and gain critical knowledge of methods/techniques for second language acquisition.  I can also share activities/strategies that have worked within my classroom.  By creating a community of learners, I will grow as a teacher as well as challenge myself and students.  

My students struggle with the skill of description as well as writing complex sentences in Spanish.  Blogger will allow me to post photos of things they are interested in and require students to practice writing in the second language.  Through blogs, students will be using a literacy form they are familiar with and my hope is that they will be more willing to develop their writing in the second language.  Additionally, by using my blog I can challenge students to use critical thinking skills within the second language and teach them how to examine and synthesize in Spanish.   

The following NYS Standards for LOTE (Languages other than English) are being addressed:


  1. Students will be able to write brief analyses of more complex content when given the opportunity  for organization and advance preparation, though errors may occur more frequently.
  2. Students will be able to produce written narratives and expression of opinion about radio and television programs, newspaper and magazine articles, and selected stories, songs and literature of the target language.  






5 comments:

  1. Nice start on your blog. However, if you plan have a classroom blog I would suggest starting another one. The reason is that you should have more control over a classroom blog than over this one which is more public. I will make some specific suggestions to you in the HDIG forum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Srta. Marino, I completely agree that collaboration is the key to success in education. In the past, I have seen students wanting teachers to do everything for them and I have seen teachers sit and expect students to teach themselves. It is really good to see a teacher with such passion and drive to collaborate in order to see that education is done in an innovative and helpful way. Thank you so much, I hope to meet more teachers like yourself and to one day become one. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you mentioned that using a blog will hold students accountable for their own work. I also like how you mentioned how you can use photos to help your students and get them to write more. Technology is something that is being used more and more each day and as teachers we need to get on board. I never thought of the idea of following other people. That's a nice way to get aid as a teacher resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea that we can using the bogs to start following other second language educators around the world and gain critical knowledge of methods/techniques for second language acquisition. Since I may go back China to start my teaching, there will be less opportunity for me to get access to new educational theory or technique, So I think blogs can help me to improving my teaching Knowing all the time.
    Besides, I guess you must be a excellent teacher, cause you've try hard to to make the class more innovative.
    Goog night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your idea "Collaboration is the key to success in education". I could not agree more. Considering we are teaching foreign languages, creating online communities to share knowledges, tools and strategies with other teacher will improve our Teaching skills. Moreover, doing this worldwide will also also allow us to be in touch with the language we are teaching and the culture(s) related to this language.
    By the way as you know, Spanish is my first language, I'd be glad to help you in case you need anything for your lessons.

    Manel

    ReplyDelete